Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Difference Between American & Japanese Crochet Pattern

I just bought 3 books of crocheted bouquet pattern, one in American style pattern (by narration/description) and two in Japanese style (by picture/graphic). I just realized, b'coz I'm used to read description crochet pattern since 1997, it's a little bit confusing for me to follow the Japanese/graphic style pattern, although I was using graphic style pattern when I learned to crochet for the 1st time in 1987. Once when I started to learn reading description pattern at 1997, I thought it would be difficult, coz at that time I'm not used to imagine the final result of the crocheted things (even with the photograph of the final result, it still hard to imagine how the crochet process will be done!). But after years of practice, once I got any description crochet pattern, mostly I can imagine form, the process, and the final result of the crochet work. And now, since I bought two Japanese crochet pattern books (which has graphic style pattern, and notes in Japanese font, hiks...), I have to recover my ability to read the graphic pattern, since I already (almost) forgot it years ago...

But anyway, it was a great challenge, and I'm happy with the result. For the bouquet I made from the books, please visit my masterpiece gallery here.

No comments: